Skip to main content

On A Day Like Today

I wasn't going to do this. Not because I don't have thoughts about this, or things to say... But because this blog isn't necessarily the place for it.  I've scrapped those thoughts and will put this here. I won't update about it publicly, but it will be here for anyone who reads this.  I've spent far too much time in the last few days and years reading accounts, looking at information and expanding my knowledge of what physically happened on that day.

September 11, 2001 I was in high school, outside Philadelphia Pennsylvania USA. I was 14, in 9th grade if I count back correctly.. I was in French class when I heard that something had happened. Completely unaware until sometime around 10am because I carted myself off to school at 7:15am. My french teacher refused to acknowledge anything had happened and went on with the class. Murmurs began to filtrate, something had happened in NY, NY, something bad.  At home room (after first period) there was an announcement made over the loudspeaker system that two planes had hit the North and South towers of the world trade center. Many of my classmates lost parents, brothers, sisters and friends that day.  Philadelphia is very close to NY, there are trains that run directly there.

My grandfather worked in Manhattan. I didn't know if he was ok for hours. No one could call in, no one could call out.

I got a phone call from my mom, she was stuck at work and was sending our neighbor to pick up me, my sisters and her two children (two of our friends) and we were to go back to her house until she came to pick us up. We got to her house and turned on the television.  I'm sure I don't have to articulate the drop I felt in my stomach the first time I watched the footage of the second plane hitting the south tower.  I saw them collapse (after the fact, it was almost 12 noon when we were finally out of school).

I received an update about my grandfather, he was fine, far away from the central area of the attacks and safe. He'd be returning home as soon as possible.

It is still hard for me to imagine the hatred that the people to hijacked the plane must have felt, the absolute loathing for America that they needed to do what they did.  Compared to other disasters (natural or otherwise) the actual count of deaths for all the 9/11/01 occurrences are few, but they are remembered most clearly.

I had a few friends out of state call me to make sure I was ok after Flight 93 crashed in Pennsylvania.  The site of the crash was close to Pittsburgh, far, far from Philadelphia. I was fine. The passengers of Flight 93 were one of the first details I researched years later. The other information came after, but the plane that failed to hit its intended target has always been fond to me.  I wanted to know the names of the people that stood up in the face of fear.

It still boggles my mind that someone would willingly kill themselves for a god, any god. It is days like 9/11 I am glad I am an Atheist, not to turn this into a religious argument (because it isn't). Like other occurrences in my life, it is hard for me to image a God that would allow things like this to happen. I woke up this morning fearing something else had happened, something terrible. But everything was ok. Kamm and I went and celebrated life with friends, in our own way. Today was good. Tomorrow will be good. I hope America, and the world never forgets the unity that can exist with a common cause.

I love you all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I have returned!

Quick post just to update everyone that I am back from the Godless Gathering PA.0. I survived and had an incredible time.  Met some fantastic people that I'm sad I only get to see once or twice a year.  It was pretty successful. The video footage will be uploaded later.  It will be uploaded to my original youTube channel, and then mirrored at the EroticWetAtomic youTube channel. Also, I have a twitter that I might annoyingly update sometimes; #eroticwetatomic. Just editing the post to announce that the video footage has been uploaded to YouTube under EroticWetAtomic (this attached channel) and FineLineFalling, my regular "G" rated channel. 

A Note on the Importance of Communication in Relationships

As someone in a poly relationship, i hear all the time about how important communication and honesty is. It's beaten into our heads over and over again. "Problem? Talk about it." Sure, it makes sense, it's logical, it's what people should do. So then, why do people have such a hard time being honest? I'm going to say this very plainly. The truth is always better than a lie. As far as i'm concerned anyway. Just be honest, especially with your friends. This isn't always about romantic relationships, poly or otherwise. Friendships, play partnerships, they're all types of relationships. Don't want to hang out? Awesome. Say so. Don't make excuses. I get that people are busy, or have things to do, or are feeling not too social that day. Don't want to fuck? Awesome. Say so. Don't leave me wondering if i'm some sort of sexual predator because you say that you want to get intimate and because I trust you, I believe y...

KateHarding.net's "Guest Blogger Starling: Schrödinger’s Rapist: or a guy’s guide to approaching strange women without being maced"

I found this article some months ago and was recently reintroduced to it. My last entry had to do with women related things, let's focus on what goes on inside the brains of us very lovey ladies and woman-identified peoples.  The full original article can be found here on KateHarding.net and I recommend every single person that comes to my blog go over there and read it (or read excerpts here). Gentlemen. Thank you for reading. Let me start out by assuring you that I understand you are a good sort of person. You are kind to children and animals. You respect the elderly. You donate to charity. You tell jokes without laughing at your own punchlines. You respect women. You like women. In fact, you would really like to have a mutually respectful and loving sexual relationship with a woman. Unfortunately, you don’t yet know that woman—she isn’t working with you, nor have you been introduced through mutual friends or drawn to the same activities. So you must look fur...